Monday, October 4, 2010

Day One in India

So I've begun a new blog. It's to keep track of my many adventures, beginning with India. And here it goes...

DAY ONE:
What a long day! For those of you who may not know, I am the Vice-president of a non-profit organization called Promethean Spark. We teach life skills through dance in impoverished areas of the world. One of our programs is in India. Sooo... here I am in India. I'm here to be "the Dance Master" at the school founded by Rising Star Outreach. I am here as a representative from Promethean Spark to evaluate the effectiveness of our programs. I am here to get to know our students.

I left JFK at 11:50 pm on Saturday, and I arrived at 3:50 am on Monday (today). By the time I got my luggage and got through customs, it was almost 5 am. I showered, emailed, and got to rest for about 2 hours. The driver from the school picked me up (after the adventure of not knowing where the other person was located), and we drove to the hospital to pick up the doctor.

The traffic here is crazy! It's as if someone took the craziest NYC cab driver and put them all on the same road, and then told them that the laws were more like guidelines (name that movie, anyone?). People were everywhere. Cars were everywhere. Mopeds were everywhere. Lights, signs, and flow of traffic were merely suggestions. It was a madhouse, but I enjoyed it.

We finally made it out to the school, and I am so happy to be here. The children are so excited that the new dance master is here. They sang the song that Shaun (the President of Promethean Spark) wrote for them. It was beautiful. I already love them, and I cannot wait to begin working with them tomorrow.

Well, I am off to bed. It's late and I'm tired. And tomorrow is the beginning of a whole new adventure!

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Jamie! We want pictures of our new friends.

    Love you - be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirates of the Carribean. :)

    Hope everything goes well. Sorry we never got to chat! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe and sanitary! There's so much to see and it wouldn't be an adventure if it didn't include some danger - just know we want you back in just as good or better shape than when you left us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful. I am so happy for you. How long will you be in India?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! That's all I have to say...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous. I miss the kids so much! Give all of them a big hug for me. None of them will remember me, but oh well. You're in my prayers. I know how hard it can be to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watch yourself over there. The majority of the people over there have different views. I know you may not believe it but you should ask Vishnu for protection. The temples are always so fascinating.

    PS: Don't get on a moped or motorcycle in the cities. I almost got hit a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie, It is so cool you are out there. I had no idea you were doing this. I am excited to see and learn about India and its beautiful people vicariously through you. They too will learn so much as they feel of your spirit and aloha. It sounds like missionary life, but this time as a dancer. Do you get a companion or roommate at least?

    ReplyDelete